Friday, February 13, 2009

Dreams

Dreams are a weird phenomenon. When i close my eyes i only shut out this world to enter a lofe of dreams. When i was younger any major upheavel put me to deep sleep clearing away the cobwebs in my mind., the occasional monsters did visit in nightmares but on the whole sleep was solace.
When I dream it is so real, as if I’ve entered another world. Sometimes when i fall asleep reading a book, the charachters come to life spouting garbled, unintellegible dialogue from the book. I’ve dreamt of places which I am sure exist somewhere in the real world. I’ve dreamt of long lost friends and of faceless people who I’ve never met bringing feelings of intense joy which turned to sadness when I wake up for not knowing who they were or not completing the dream. I’ve jumped from a cliff into bright blue waters, almost flying on the way down and dived gracefully, a thing I wouldn’t do in reality. I’ve flown on wings of air, swam in waters and remained dry. I’ve dreamt of fearful things and woken up with residual feelings which dogged me the whole day. I’ve traveled in trains which hurtled down a half broken track into oblivion while I woke up startled, the scream in my head turned into a mere sigh. I have fought battles in vast empty fields, my blade glinting in the sunlight; I’ve discussed amicably issues of strife with loved ones not able to do the same with eyes open. I’ve read weird tomes and sometimes wrote poetry on non-existent paper, the words clearing like mist when I returned to consciousness. I’ve held friends tight in a bear hug, trying to hold onto them before they go so far that I don’t even dream of them. I marvel at this world of dreams and wonder whether others dream the same. Sometimes the sweetest nights are the ones in which I am not plunged into this world of dreams, when I am so tired that I sleep the instant I lie down in bed or when secure in the arms of a loved one the dreams melt away, leaving me with a mind clear of empty fears.

No comments: